Monday, September 20, 2010

Jennie's Garden ~ 09/20/10

                                                                                    They're sprouting! They're sprouting!
It has been 5 days since I sowed my seeds. I have broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, romaine lettuce, beets and carrots planted in my garden right now. I have been going out every morning, knowing I would see nothing...but still hoping and hoping I would see some green popping through the soil. Well, to my surprise when I went out yesterday (only 4 days after sowing) I saw some green! I had about 3 little broccoli seedlings poking through the soil! This is what you see in this first picture; just a tiny little seedling beginning to emerge. I was so excited, however a little confused because I thought my broccoli would be the last to sprout.

I went out in the morning again today, and was even more excited to see that not only did more broccoli sprout, but I also had some cauliflower, spinach and beets poking through! Still waiting on the romaine lettuce and the carrots, but those should be sprouting in the next couple of days. Here's a picture of the broccoli again - you can see a few more have popped up and begun to take on a clover-looking shape. I thought that my broccoli (and cauliflower) would have taken longer since it said 10-20 days to emerge on the packet. I'm pretty sure I sowed at the correct depth, so I will just have to keep an eye on them and see if they are growing correctly. Trial and error, right?

This last picture is of my little beet seedlings. I have never seen beets grown so it was fun to see that they were purple. I mean, I know beets are red/ purple, but I also know the tops are green, so I just wasnt expecting it. Very exciting! Now the fun begins, watching them get bigger and bigger every day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...