Friday, December 10, 2010

Jennie's Garden ~ 12/10/10

Okay okay, I know I am waaaay late on this update, and I am very very very sorry! It's been a sad month. I have officially lost my pepper plant (although, this was expected since we are now into winter), but I have also lost all my spinach plants, and almost all of the beets. I have mentioned it in a few of my previous updates, that I believed the heat wave in October had stunted the seedlings. I was right. They never grew to anything worth while, so I pulled them and replanted some seeds. Well it was a little too late into Fall when I did this, so when they were just teeny tiny little babies, they froze when we had a light frost about a week and a half ago. They are no longer growing. So sad. Same thing with my herbs that I planted. I was too late so they all froze when they were tiny seedlings. I was also invaded by slugs! They continue to eat all of my baby carrots, so I stopped replanted them in the ground, and are leaving them to the raised garden bed. There's always early Spring right?

This being said, everything else seems to be doing well! Again, most everything was planted on September 15th. It has been a whopping 36 days since my last update (eek!), but I will still post the pictures from the last update to see the progress.


Romaine Lettuce
11/04/10

Romaine Lettuce
12/10/10



The lettuce continues to get fuller and taller! Although, I always thought Romaine lettuce to be tall, skinny and compact. Interesting...









Cauliflower
11/04/10

Cauliflower
12/10/10



  The Cauliflower is also getting larger and producing more leaves. It takes several months until harvest, so I believe it's on track. I guess we'll see!









Broccoli
11/04/10

Broccoli
12/10/10

My broccoli has gotten much larger since the last update. The leaves have also turned a darker green. They are much larger than the cauliflower, and take less time until harvest, so I am crossing my fingers that they are on track as well!









Carrots
11/04/10

Carrots
12/10/10
 My carrots are also getting taller and thicker. A couple of days ago, I brushed away some of the soil and could see the little baby carrot forming. They seem to be growing a bit slower than they should be, so I will check again in a couple of weeks.











Beets
12/10/10


Like I mentioned above, I have lost most of my beets. The only ones I have left are these pictured. They were planted in a cinder block and are doing great! Unfortunately, it looks like I'll only be getting about 3-5 beets from my garden...











Peas
11/04/10

Peas
12/10/10
My peas are still my pride and joy! They are so tall, reaching the top tier of my trellis. They are also sprouting flowers, which means peas are soon to follow. So excited!

Peas (flower)
12/10/10

 
Shallots
11/04/10

Shallots
12/10/10
                                                         Shallots are doing well. Can't really see what's going on under ground, but the tops are green and tall, so I can only assume the bulbs are growing!











Garlic
12/10/10

My garlic is doing great! The stems are getting taller and taller. When one sprouts, I plant another one. Garlic takes a few months so I still have some ways to go, but I am extremely excited for these.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...