Monday, October 11, 2010

Jennie's Garden ~ 10/10/10

Welcome back to my garden! It's been another 11 days and things are still going great! I am not having anymore problems with those little buggers I mentioned in my last update. I still see a few mites here and there, but only when it gets a little warmer outside. I think the grubs were taken care of, and the cat hasn't been around as often either. Maybe thanks to the coffee grounds I sprinkled all over the yard? Coffee is great for the garden, as well as your compost pile, so I like to lightly sprinkle it in my garden bed and all over the lawn. Click here to read my post about the benefits of used coffee grounds in the garden! Well, now to the fun part! Here are my updated pictures which were all taken yesterday morning (10 days after the last update). I put the pictures from the last update side by side with the new ones to easily see the progress. Again, pretty much everything was planted from seed on 09/15/10.

Romaine Lettuce
09/30/10

Romaine Lettuce
10/10/10
 My lettuce was a bit slow to start, but they are really taking off now. Every morning the leaves are a little bit bigger! You can see there are now 4 leaves, and a 5th (can't see in the pic) is starting to emerge!







Spinach
09/30/10

Spinach
10/10/10

My spinach is really coming along as well. The second set of leaves are clearly visible now, and are actually starting to sprout a 3rd set.






Cauliflower
09/30/10

Cauliflower
10/10/10
You can see the cauliflower is also growing a 3rd leaf. They are actually quite large already. You can't see in the picture, but there is already a 4th leaf starting to grow! They don't seem to be getting taller, just producing more leaves...we'll have to see how they progress in the next 10 days!


Broccoli
09/30/10

Broccoli
10/10/10
My broccoli is doing very well. The leaves are just getting bigger and bigger! You can just see how large the 3rd leaf has grown in just 10 days. You can also see in the middle of the most recent picture that there is now a 4th leaf coming in. They are slowly getting taller as well, but seem to be producing more leaves quicker, just like the cauliflower.





Carrots
09/30/10

Carrots
10/10/10
Carrots are also getting larger. They have been thinned as you can see between the pictures. They have also sprouted a middle leaf that you can clearly see in the most recent picture. You can't see it, but they are beginning to grow a 4th leaf as well!




Beets
09/30/10

Beets
10/10/10

Beets have been thinned, and you can see there are 4 leaves now. They are also starting to sprout a 3rd set of leaves. They are very strong, and getting bigger and bigger every day!





Peas 09/30/10

Peas 10/10/10


My peas are still my pride and joy! I swear
they grow an inch every day! They are growing so fast, I can't believe it! They are almost reaching the second step on my trellis! This last picture was taken yesterday, and they are already much taller. They are growing faster and taller than anything else I have in my garden.





Pepper
10/10/10
 
Pepper
09/30/10
You can see there has been significant growth in my pepper. It cooled down for a few days so I don't think it grew as much as it could have. There are also several more flowers that have bloomed. A couple of them have also started to swell, so I'm hoping to get at least two more peppers before it cools down too much!


Garlic Chives 10/10/10
Planted 09/25/10


I didn't post a picture of my chives in the last update because they hadn't sprouted yet, but just in the last several days they have grown almost 3 inches! I planted them in an empty milk jug, and they are doing great. I'm very excited for these as I have never tried garlic chives before.






Shallots
10/10/10

Shallots 10/05/10
Planted 09/25/10

My shallots have been a little difficult. They were planted on Sept 25th and one sprouted around Oct 4th. You can see that they grow very fast! However, this was the only one that popped up. I was a little concerned, but a second shallot sprouted a few days ago, and I noticed another one this morning. I guess they're just taking a bit longer to emerge.
 Hopefully by the next update, they'll all be up!


 

My seedlings are doing well. They have all sprouted and are just starting their journey!

I'm planning to plant some garlic in the next couple of days, so we'll see how those do. I have some parsley, oregano and basil growing in the window, but I might plant some outside as well. Other than that, it's pretty much just watching and waiting! Well, until my seedlings are ready to be transplanted.

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...